Thursday, January 25, 2018

Week 2 Story: Bear, Man, and Wizard

Once upon a time, a bear was thrown into jail for being the town drunk. He tried and tried to get out, but he could not. 

By chance a poor man walked by.

"Let me out, I got thrown in here for getting too drunk," cried the bear.

"No way," replied the man, "you will probably eat me."

“No I will not,” pleaded the bear, “I will be very grateful and be your protector and guard.”

After hours of sobbing and pleading to the man, he finally yielded to the bears request and opened the gate of the jail. Jumping out of the cell and grabbing the man, yelling, “You fool! I haven’t eaten in months, what is going to stop me from eating you now?”

Pleading for his life he cried, “Please do not hurt me, I have done nothing wrong. What can I do to convince you to let me live?”

“Well if you could somehow get me some Budlight I would forgive you and let you go in peace,” the bear said.

Not knowing how he could come up with the request, the man walked towards the town. Along the road, he stumbled upon a wizard. The man told him his story and the wizard told him to take him to the bear.

The bear screamed, “I am going to have to eat you now since you did not come back with any budlight,” as the man and the wizard walked up to him.

The man bursts out, “You are mistaken, the wizard can turn anything into budlight with just the flick of his staff.”

The bear then asks for the wizard to turn his jail cell into Budlight. Without hesitation the wizard points his staff at the cell and turns its all into Budlight.


The bear cheers, “Dilly, dilly”, at the site of endless beer and goes back into his cell happier than ever. Letting the man walk away in peace. 

Bear attacking the man Wikimedia Commons

Author's Note
The story above is a modification of the Tricksters: Tiger, Brahman, and Jackal with different characters and a change in the ending. I used the wizard from the recent Budlight commercials in placement of the trickster. 

Bibliography
Tricksters: Tiger, Brahman, and Jackal by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations from John Batton.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael!
    I actually laughed out loud by you saying the bear was the "town drunk!" This was a comical way of rewriting the story, and one that I don't think anyone else thought of. I also thought it was funny that the bear wanted a bud light for his first "meal" after being let out of jail. Any Dilly Dilly joke at this time is gold - and it made me so happy that you wrote this story about it! Great job and keep up the good work lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Micheal! I like the amount of dialogue you have in this story. It's really punchy and engaging. I think that the story could use some more set up and exposition though. I can't picture where this is taking place or the environment that surrounds the conversation. I do think that the change into a pop culture reference it fun and exciting.

    ReplyDelete